How to Be Successful at the Career Fair
Here are some tips to help you knock that first impression out of the park.
1. Prepare and double-check (and triple-check, quadruple-check, etc.) your resume for errors
The last thing you want an employer to see is that you’re an “Englsih major,” or you “helped a company boost there sales by 15 percent.”
Spellcheck and grammar checks are extremely important! Make sure your job experiences go in order from most recent to oldest. Most importantly, try to stick to the one-page rule. The resume should be a snapshot of your experiences, not your autobiography.
2. Prepare an introduction
Introduce yourself by saying your name, major, and what you are looking for. In some cases, an elevator speech will work just fine. An elevator speech is basically a short speech about yourself that you can say to someone within the time it takes to get to another floor on the elevator.
3. Dress to impress
Don’t show up like you just rolled out of bed; sweatpants won’t do for today. The best way to go is to dress business professional. That means a blazer with dress pants, or a blazer with a dress and stockings for girls, and a dress shirt and tie with dress pants for guys. Don’t forget the dress shoes! Little black heels usually work just fine for the girls!
4. Be confident and independent
This isn’t a club or a bar — try to leave the friends at home. It’s not a group event, this is your time to shine and wow those employers. Stand out from the crowd, and remember to smile, and make eye contact!
5. Be open to companies you have never heard of
Just talk to them! You may miss out on an amazing opportunity. Besides, sometimes the name brands aren’t the best quality.
6. Take the free things (seriously)
Take those pens, bags, USB cords, and post-it pads. Employers are happy to see those things going to good use, and besides, who can’t use an extra pen?!
Best of luck, and if you don’t get the first job you apply for, keep trying! Something is out there — trust the timing of your life!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
UVA INTERNSHIPS LISTINGSSee all UVA Internships Listings
UVA Internships Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeCollege of William and MaryGeorge Mason UniversityVirginia TechVirginia Commonwealth UniversityUniversity of VirginiaJames Madison UniversityOld Dominion UniversityLiberty UniversityChristopher Newport UniversityECPISweet Briar CollegeRandolph CollegeLongwood UniversityLynchburg CollegeUniversity of RichmondHampton UniversityVirginia Military InstituteShenandoah UniversityRadford UniversityAverett UniversityBridgewater CollegeEastern Mennonite UniversityEmory and Henry CollegeFerrum CollegeHampden-Sydney CollegeMary Baldwin CollegeMarymount UniversityNational CollegeNorfolk State UniversityRandolph-Macon CollegeRegent UniversityRoanoke CollegeThe Art Institute of WashingtonThe University of Virginia's College at WiseUniversity of Mary WashingtonVirginia State UniversityVirginia Union UniversityVirginia Wesleyan CollegeWashington and Lee UniversityNorthern Virginia Community CollegeVirginia International UniversityTidewater Community CollegeSouthern Virginia UniversityVirginia's Community CollegeBlue Ridge Community College (VA)Central Virginia Community CollegeDabney S Lancaster Community CollegeDanville Community College Eastern Shore Community CollegeJ Sargeant Reynolds Community CollegeJohn Tyler Community College Mountain Empire Community CollegeNew River Community College Patrick Henry Community CollegeSouthwest Virginia Community CollegeThomas Nelson Community CollegeVirginia Highlands Community CollegeVirginia Western Community CollegeStratford University
- By State
- By City